Thursday, February 12, 2009

Dubstep... what?

Hey Kiddies :D

Just wanted to do a post about "dubstep" and what I like and don't like and what it's defining qualities actually are. I've heard all the popular UK type dubstep like Benga, Coki, Skream, Caspa, Rusko, Kromestar, N-Type, you see who I'm getting at. Pretty much the top 40 of dubstep. I gotta say, I'm not so down, there are a few good tunes here and there but most of it is pretty bland. Big wobbly basslines (which I do actually enjoy immensely, if done right) and rootical dub samples. I hate to slag but it seems that stuff is just a bit to repetitive and lacks depth. My problem is I really love the idea of it and the general style but it's seems like you've heard one, you've heard 'em all. Maybe it's more just a matter of preference. The tracks I've posted here are some of the more creative "outside the box" (and a few inside the box but good all the same) tracks that I have found but I need more! Is some of this stuff even really classified as dubstep or is it part of some other sub genre I don't know about? Maybe breakstep/something a tiny bit faster and a bit more hectic? Please have a listen and comment to help me with this frustrating search I'm sure you're all familiar with when searching for something just you have just realized you love, but can't put your finger on. Cheers yall :)



Si Begg - Are You a Big Boy DJ (Heq Remix)


Bassnectar - Roustabout


Bassnectar - Heads Up


Si Begg - Bangin


Burial - Archangel


Cardopusher - Toothsmasher

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say these type of tracks are about half breaks, half dubstep, so breakstep seems a reasonable term. However, as soon as you categorise music you are defining a formula and encouraging weak and unoriginal replicas which is exactly what happened to dubstep, causing all those tunes you are complaining about.
Check out innasekt, broken note, ital tek, teknoist, dog shit crew and warlock

Post a Comment